What is Loading Speed?
Loading speed is the time taken by the page to fully load in the browser after a user clicks a link.
It is comprised of two elements:
- Time to first byte (TTFB) is a measurement used as an indication of the responsiveness of a webserver or other network resource. TTFB measures the duration from the user or client making an HTTP request to the first byte of the page being received by the client's browser. TTFB is a function of the user's network, and is affected by connection type, web traffic congestion, distance from ISP, bad/old wires, connections or equipment.
- Internet speed is your (allocated) bandwidth. Bandwidth is the amount of data that can be sent to you, usually measured in seconds. For example, 5 Mbps would mean that you can receive up to 5 megabits of data per second.
Why do HyperWebs websites load faster?
There are two reasons why HyperWebs sites load faster than any other websites:
1. Any other website is created from the desktop version first and then scaled to fit on a smartphone. So if your website is "mobile friendly" or "mobile responsive", that is the way it was built.
HyperWebs websites take the exact opposite approach, we build websites MOBILE FIRST and scale them UP to fit on and desktop screens.
According to Kinsta, mobile first is more difficult to do, takes more time, but it is the right way to attain the fastest loading speed:
"The mobile-first approach is a tenet of progressive enhancement. It is the ideology that mobile design, as the hardest, should be done first."
2. HyperWebs websites use almost no plugins, meaning all the forms, buttons, enhancement tools, etc. are native on our platform. Most other sitebuilders, including Wordpress, use plugins or "add-ons" for many of these features.
Why is that important?
Quite simply, the more plugins you add to the platform, the slower the website loads!
Here is an explanation from OnlineMediaMasters
Also read the 10 reasons why your website loads slowly from Bitcatcha. HyperWebs addresses EVERY ONE of these issues that is not network (TTFB) related.
Why is Loading Speed So Important?
There are two VERY IMPORTANT reasons why loading speed is crucial to the success of a website AND to the success of the business itself.
1. Statistics show that people landing on a website will wait LESS THAN THREE SECONDS for that website to load. We didn't just pull that number out of a hat, that number came from Google itself.
2. Another very important reason is the fact that Google uses loading speed as one of the factors that make up the Google algorithm. So the faster your website loads, the higher Google will rank in versus other websites competing for eyeballs for a specific search term. So... if your website, loads slowly, it will rank poorly. If many of your visitors leave before the site even loads, Google knows that, and they will penalize websites for visitors leaving quickly. It is a term called "bounce rate".